The best part of our job is cheering on our partners as they soar to new heights with Learn to Win.
We’re thrilled to announce big news about our partners at Regeneron.
The Life Sciences Trainers & Educators Network (LTEN) has honored Regeneron as a Finalist for the 2022 Excellence in Innovation Award thanks to the company’s novel approach to sales training with Learn to Win.
LTEN is the #1 resource for training professionals working in the pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device, and diagnostics industries. The LTEN Excellence Awards recognize trainers, leaders, teams and partners that have demonstrated the highest degrees of creativity, innovation and collaboration. This year’s finalists were selected from among a record-setting number of nominations.
"This year's list of nominees is nothing short of impressive. The work was innovative, the changes were real, and the people were amazing."
- Kathleen Herndon, LTEN Executive Director
Regeneron is a leading biotechnology company that invents life-transforming medicines for people with serious diseases. Founded and led for over 30 years by physician-scientists, Regeneron’s ability to repeatedly and consistently translate science into medicine has led to seven FDA-approved treatments and numerous product candidates in development.
The Training Challenge: Preparing Reps for Hallway Conversations with Doctors
The objective of Regeneron’s sales training program is to prepare reps to have meaningful conversations with healthcare providers. In training, managers instruct reps on the importance of “hallway conversations.”
Reps are often encouraged to imagine walking down a hallway alongside a busy doctor. She’s on her way to her next appointment, and she only has a few minutes. She turns and asks a highly technical question about a drug’s specific mechanism of action (MOA).
In that moment, reps either know the answer, or they don’t. It’s not acceptable to say “Let me get back to you on that.” If reps can’t answer accurately and confidently in that moment, then they’ve lost the opportunity.
But preparing for these crucial hallway conversations is no small task. Reps need to master huge volumes of highly technical scientific information, then recall the right information at the precise moment of need.
Regeneron’s sales training team needed to find a solution that was fast, focused, and flexible. That led them to Learn to Win.
The Innovation: Train Like A Pro Sports Team
Regeneron’s training team drew inspiration outside of the Life Sciences industry. They realized that professional sports teams – including Super Bowl and Stanley Cup champions – face the same learning challenges that sales teams do.
Regeneron used Learn to Win to adopt an Agile Learning approach that made sales training faster, more focused, and more effective.
- They started each training cycle with a quick assessment to spot high-risk knowledge gaps – specifically, areas where reps were “confidently wrong.”
- The data helped focus valuable in-person training time on the most critical knowledge gaps
- They used a combination of microlearning and role play drills to build skill mastery
As a result of these agile training cycles with Learn to Win:
- Managers were able to spot mental errors among reps before they became mistakes in the field
- Sales managers knew exactly where to focus during team meetings and in-person training sessions
- Reps mastered large volumes of highly technical training material
- Managers reported more meaningful conversations between sales reps and healthcare providers